Your pet may be a bit podgy!
Is your pet carrying a bit much weight?
You should be able to feel your pet’s ribs under a thin layer of tissue. They should have a waist to that when you run your hands down there side it should be thinner than the rib cage.
Why get the weight off:
- The added weight puts pressure on the joints and predisposes your pet to arthritis
- The fat you see on the outside is also coating the arteries and veins on the inside increasing the risk of severe liver and heart disease
Ways to get weight off:
- Increase their exercise- for dogs it can be adding in more walks and for cats new toys or cat palaces to play with
- Decrease their ration- feed them a good quality food using the packets guide to daily feeding and
FEED THEM TO THE WEIGHT YOU WANT THEM TO BE NOT THE WEIGHT THEY ARE.
- Hills has a weight loss diet called R/D which has the amino acid L- cartinine which leaves them
- Ask us about our weight loss program, our experienced Veterinary Nurses can give tips and advice to help your pet slim down
Tasmanian Animal Hospital really wants to help get your pet in the best form they can be so feel free to ask us question or seek advice, we are always willing to help!